The Ultimate Home Checklist for Getting Summer-Ready
The changing seasons bring a breath of fresh air to your life. In summer, the daylight last longer, the temperatures rise, and the world comes alive.
As the seasons shift, it’s time to freshen up your home to welcome the change. Put away your extra blankets, get out the patio furniture, throw open the windows, and get busy. It’s time to usher in summer with this home checklist.
Your Seasonal Home Checklist to Get Ready for Summer
As spring turns into summer, it’s time to do a bit of deep cleaning. This means accomplishing tasks, chores, and home repairs that you only carry out a few times a year.
Refresh Your Home Interior
- Wash the walls. Yep, even your walls can accumulate a layer of dust, dirt, or fingerprints. Go over them with a damp cloth and mild, soapy water.
- Paint. Mild temperatures and dry conditions make the transition between seasons a perfect time to re-paint the walls. Throw open the windows and apply a fresh coat, or even a fresh color.
- Air out the beds. Wash all your bedding, then open the windows wide in your bedroom to let air circulate around your mattress. Vacuum the surface, rotate it, and flip it, if possible. Switch out your warmer bedding for lightweight sheets and blankets.
- Clean/switch out filters. Replace the air filters for your HVAC system and clean the vent for your dryer.
- Check safety alarms. Check the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. If they’re running low, put in fresh ones.
Seasonal To-Dos for Outdoors
- Clean the grill. To start on the right foot for grilling season, give yours a good scrub before its first use. It will work better and you’ll avoid flare-ups. With a grill brush, clean the grates as well as the interior. Wash the exterior, too.
- Clean patio furniture. If your outdoor furniture is in storage, it’s time to get it out. Use a broom to get rid of leaves, spider webs, and dirt. Use warm, soapy water to clean off remaining dust.
- Check outdoor and athletic equipment. Round up your fun outdoor games and equipment and make sure it’s all in order. Ideally, store it all in the same place for easy access.Check that balls aren’t deflated, that equipment is clean, and that you have every piece you need. For instance, find that missing golf club and put all your extra golf balls in your bag. Gather tennis rackets and balls and store them together.
- Weed the garden. If you have flower beds or a vegetable patch, catch the weeds as they sprout up. They’re much easier to remove. Add mulch to help prevent them from reappearing.
Seasonal To-Dos Get You Ready for Fun in the Sun
Preparing for a new season means you’ll have more time to enjoy it when it’s in full swing. Get both your house and your yard ready for a summer to remember with this easy home checklist.